Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The good, the bad and THE ugly.

When I started blogging, I promised myself- I would write about the good, the bad and the ugly. I have written about the good, the bad and now, it is time for the ugly. The ugly truth about the failed  attempt to make doughnuts, that is. I am just keeping my word and writing about this.
The idea of baking doughnuts thrilled me beyond words, why would I not be thrilled. I was reading  this when I was looking at the recipe for carrot soup. Since, baking with yeast takes a long time because it needs time to rise and all,  I bookmarked it for a rainy day – where I can bake for the family and indulge in a sweet treat myself.  Pakoras and sweet treats with a big mug of chai is quintessential and especially during monsoon.
I admit, things did not go as I planned. Nevertheless, on a rainy day like today, I found a silver lining-I finally figured out how to make good quality dough.  Usually, my dough becomes too sticky or too dry- it never was perfect. Because,  I have made pies and breads, and my dough was never the way I wanted it to be, it always ended up  dry , it formed a dry layer around the dough making it crack.
I never did stop baking because few things went wrong. I remember the times when two or three cakes failed like nobody’s business.  There was once a time when I considered chocolate cake as my nemesis. It always managed to sink in the middle. Anyway, I got the day off and I figured I‘d bake the doughnuts.  The idea of dunking them in melted butter and dusting them with cinnamon sugar was beginning to make my day.  Sigh. The yeast had other plans.
Things started brilliantly, the dough came together, and it cooled off great. However, the damn thing did not rise. I had two options, a. Throw the whole dough into the bin, b. Make them anyway. The idea of throwing perfectly done dough was never an option. I went ahead and made them, anyway.
Confession: It should have been soft and fluffy rather I ended up with flat and crispy piece of pastry.
However, this I can tell you, when dipped in hot melted butter and cinnamon sugar- it tasted delicious. The smell of scented cinnamon with glorious butter can never go wrong. Can it?  
I hope that the next time, I will write about something that went right and (hopefully) I will have a recipe which I will want to share and not a recipe for disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment